Amritsari Murg Malaiwala
1 hr 25 mins
Cuisine – Indian – Punjabi
Course – Main
Diet – Non vegetarian – Chicken
For the gravy:
- 1 Cup Cream
- 3 Green chillies, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Green cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Dry ginger powder
- 1 Tsp White pepper powder
- 1 Tsp Kasoori methi
- 2 Tsp Garam masala
- A pinch of Saffron
- 2 Tsp Almonds, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fried onion
- Salt to taste
For the marinade:
- 5 Chicken drumsticks
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste (adarak lahasun ka paste)/(allam vellulli paste)
- 2 tsp White pepper powder (safed mirchi)/(tella miriyalu)
For the garam masala:
- 1 Black cardamom (badi elaichi)/(nalla Ellakai)
- 6-8 Green cardamoms (choti elaichi)/(paccha Yelakulu)
- 1 Piece Mace (javitri)/(japatri)
- 2 Tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 4-5 Cloves (laung)/(lavangalu)
- 1 Cinnamon (dalchini)/(dalchini chekka)
- 4-5 Black peppercorns (kali mirch)/(miriyalu)
- 6-7 Dried rose petals
Step by Step Instructions
- Dry roast all garam masala items, blend and keep ready for use in the recipe.
- Lavishly coat the chicken with salt, curd, lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, and white pepper powder, allow to set for an hour and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- Heat oil and ghee in a (preferably) non-stick pan. When the oil is hot add onions and cook until the onion is transparent and excess water vaporizes and then add green chillies and fry for few minutes.
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat till the chicken is slightly browned and loses the raw smell.
- Add the cream, milk with cardamom powder, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves, white pepper, kasuri methi and the garam masala. (add the pinch of saffron optional but recommended).
- Add the chopped almonds and the crushed onions to enhance the flavor and let it simmer till the chicken pieces are cooked. (the secret is to slow cook the dish).
- Serve hot with tawa chapati or butter paratha.