Bharli Vangi (Stuffed Brinjal) Recipe
- 6 Brinjals medium size(Baingan / vankaya)
- 3 tbps Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (rai/avalu)
- Few Curry leaves ( curry patta / karvepaku)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 3-4 Green Chillies , slit vertically
- 1/2 tbsp Goda masala powder
- 1/2 tbsp Garam masala powder
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander Leaves , chopped (kothmir)
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, roasted and peeled (Moongphali, pallilu)
- 1 Tomato
- 4-5 cloves Garlic (lahun / velulipaya)
- 1 inch Ginger (adrak/allam)
- Jaggery , marble size ball (gud/bellam)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi)
Step by Step Instructions
- To prepare the brinjals – split them vertically (4 pieces) keeping the stalk attached and intact. Sprinkle and spread salt and set aside for 10 mins at least.
- To prepare the stuffing – in a grinder add all the items listed under stuffing, along with garam masala and goda masala, into a coarse paste using water sparingly.
- To prepare the tempering – In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds then add onions (when cumin seeds crackle)
- Stuff the stuffing equally into all the brinjals. Heat the pan with tempering and gently place the brinjals on to it carefully.
- Sprinkle water and cover and let cook for about 12 minutes. (check occasionally to see if the brinjals are sticking to the pan)
- Remove from heat once the brinjals are cooked (and become softer)
- Serve hot with Roti/Phulka or Dal and Rice. To eat, mix portions of the stuffed brinjals and the tempering so tht the flavor and the salt (from stuffing) combines evenly.