Parsi Chicken Dhansak
1 Hour 60 minutes
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 1/2 Cup mixed lentils – (toor, moong, masoor)
- Salt to taste
- 8 Cloves
- 3 Dry red chilies
- 1 Star anise
- ¼ Tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 –Inch piece of mace
- 8 Black peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 Litre Chicken Stock (you can substitute with water if you do not have stock)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ Bunch finely chopped coriander leaves.
- 1 Tbsp tamarind
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tsp Kasuri methi
- 1 Tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 3 Cups of water
- 4 Tbsp oil for cooking
Step by Step Instructions
- In a bowl, add chicken, salt, ginger garlic paste, chili powder, turmeric and mix well.
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour.
- Wash and soak the lentils for 20 mins and drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker boil the lentils with chicken stock until soft.
- Meanwhile, roast all the spices and then grind to a fine powder and set aside.
- When the lentils are cooked, add tamarind juice and set it aside ensure the lentils are cooked soft and mix well with the tamarind juice.
- Cook the marinated chicken for 15 mins by adding salt and add the lentil soup and bring it to boil by stirring it frequently.
- Add 2 Cups of water, spice powder and salt if required and mix well and cook until you see a thick soup consistency.
- Once done serve hot with rice or like soup adding some chopped onions.