- 1 Whole chicken
For Mandi spice powder preparation:
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp cloves
- 2 tsp green cardamom
- 4 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ dried lemon or 1 whole raw lemon zest
- 1 tbsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp of saffron
Ingredients for rice:
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 4 tbsp of oil (I used olive oil, however you can use any)
- 2 medium-sized onions sliced
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup of raisins
Step by Step Instructions
- You can slightly dry roast the spices listed under Mandi spice powder preparation or it’s optional. Once the spices cool down and are relatively manageable, transfer it to the grinder and grind them to make a fine powder.
- Place the chicken in a bowl, rub the chicken with sufficient Mandi spice powder and mix well until it is fully coated you can also drizzle some oil which is optional, cover the chicken and keep it refrigerated for 2hours.
- Meanwhile, wash the rice and soak it for at least 2 hours.
- Place a large ovenproof pot on the stove, over medium heat, add oil, once the oil heats up add in sliced onions with a pinch of salt for the caramelization. While the onions turn slightly brown add the ingredients listed for the rice preparation and let the raisins swell up. Before adding the soaked rice remove 2 spoons of brown onions to use it for garnishing in the end.
- As the rice is soaked for 2 hours let’s reduce the water to 7 cups (technically the water should be doubled), add salt to taste, stir it well and add 2 tbsp of Mandi spice mixture.
- Now place a rack on top of the pot to place the chicken and gently move the entire apparatus into the oven and cook for 180 C for 35mins or until both the chicken and rice are cooked.
- Now carefully remove the apparatus from the oven, transfer the rice to a serving plate and place the chicken on top. You can now garnish it with brown onions, raisins and serve hot.
Note: If you do not have an oven, on medium heat cook the marinated chicken on steam by placing it on the rack of the pot, once the chicken is half cooked, remove the chicken and pan-fry it by rotating the chicken for every 30 seconds and cook till the chicken is browned well. Continue cooking the rice in the same pot by covering it with the lid on medium heat and serve hot.