Lip-smacking Rajasthani delicacy recipe; a combination of Lentils, sweet churma and fried baati
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (gehu
aata/ godhuma pindi)
- 1/4 Cup Semolina (suji/
- ¼ cup) Oil Or Ghee
- 4 tbsp Almond Slices (badam)
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder (
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Pistachio
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts chopped (
- Ghee/oil For Deep-Frying
- ¼ Cup split Bengal Gram (chana dal/
- ¼ Cup Pigeon Peas Split (
arhardal/ kandi pappu)
- ¼ Cup split Green Gram (moong dal/
- ¼ Cup split Black Lentils (Urad Dal/mina
- ¼ Cup black Gram Skinned (Urad Dal Chilka/
- Salt To Taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee Or Oil
- 4-5 Cloves (
- 1 Bay Leave (tej
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- 2 Green Cardamom (
- 2 Black Cardamon (
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (
dalchini, dalchina chekka)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeera/
- 1 Red Or Green Chillies Chopped
- A Pinch Of Asafetida (
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic, Crushed (
adrak lahsun/ allam vellulli)
- 1 Onions(
pyaj/ uligadda) Finely Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp Coriander(
- ½ tsp Turmeric (
- 2 tsp Chilli (
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon(
- 1 ¼ Cup Whole Wheat Flour(gehu atta/
- ½ Cup Semolina(suji/
- ½ Cup Yogurt (
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbsp Oil/ Ghee
- Salt To Taste
- Ghee For Dipping
- Dried Rose Petals
- ¼ Cup Melted Ghee
- Onions, Cucumber(
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix together, Wheat flour, semolina and molten ghee and pinch of salt, in a deep bowl and add sufficient water to make a stiff dough consistency.
- Divide this dough into 10 pieces to make the
- Shape each ball of dough to look as shown in the picture.
- Heat oil in a pan and then fry these Muthia till golden brown on all sides, then remove from oil and allow to cool. (this may take some time)
- Once cold, grind the Muthia till they are powdered into even texture.
- Add molten ghee, almonds, cardamom powder, powdered sugar and mix well.
is ready. churma,
- To make
churma laddos, shape them into balls while the mixture is hot. (You can also microwave this mixture for 30 seconds)
- Wash all the dals and add to a pressure cooker with salt, 5 cups of water, turmeric powder and cook till 4 to 5 whistles and then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Then heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cloves, dried red
chilli, green cardamom, black cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, and asafetida, and saute till the seeds crackle.
- Then add onion and chopped chilies and saute for 2 more minutes and add tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add powdered coriander seeds, turmeric, red chili, and garam masala and fry well. Add water till sufficient gravy-like consistency and add salt to taste and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tempering to the cooked dal and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat and add lemon juice and mix well.
- The Dal is ready.
- Mix together, wheat flour, semolina, salt, baking powder, and yogurt and knead into
semi-stiffdough, adding warm water as needed.
- Divide this into 12 equal portions and shape them into a ball while also making an indentation at its center with your thumb.
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F and bake the Baati for 30-40 minutes till the top turns golden brown, and then remove from oven.
- While hot, press the
baatislightly enough to crack the surface a little. Add a few drops of ghee in each baati.
- The Baati is ready.
- Pour ghee over hot dal.
- Pour some ghee over
- Serve hot with red chutney, onions, lemon wedges.
Watch it disappear as your guests/family relishes it