Lucknowi Galouti Kebab
Cuisine – Indian Lucknowi
Diet – Non-vegetarian
Course – Main
For the mix:
- 500 gms minced meat(mutton)(Kheema)
- 75-100 gm chopped raw papaya(papeeta/boppayi)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger(adrak/allam)
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic(lahasun/vellulli)
- 8 cloves(laung/lavangalu)
- Seeds of 2 black cardamoms(badi elaichi/yelakulu)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds-roasted and dry ground(Khus Khus/gasagalu)
- 4 peppercorns(kali mirch/miriyalu)
- 1/2 tsp pieces of cinnamon(dalchini/dalchini chekka)
- 2 Tbsp desiccated coconut-lightly roasted(sookhee naariyal/yendi kobbari)
- 2 blades of mace(javitri/japatri)
- 5 green cardamoms(choti elaichi/paccha yelakulu)
- 1 tsp chilli powder(lal mirch/karam)
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg(jaiphal/jajikaya)
For the Kebabs:
- 1 cup sliced onions( pyaaj/ullipaya)
- 1/2 cup ghee(neyyi)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves(dhaniya/kottimira)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped green chillies(haree mirch/pacchi mirapakai)
- 3 Tbsp roasted gram flour(besan/senaga pindi)
- 1 Egg(ande/guddu)
- Ghee to pan fry the kebabs
- Lemon juice to sprinkle over the kebabs(nimbu/nimmakai rasam)
Step by Step Instructions
- Grind together the papaya, ginger, garlic, cloves black cardamom, roasted poppy seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon, roasted desiccated coconut, mace green cardamom, chili powder, nutmeg, and set aside.
- In a separate pan, fry the onions in ghee till crisp brown and set aside for later use.
- Mix together the meat with the ground ingredients and let stay for 4 to 5 hours(you can refrigerate it’s optional).
- Mix together the coriander leaves, green chillies, gram flour, egg and add to the meat and knead them together.
- Shape the mixture into patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a shallow pan, heat the ghee and fry the patties turning on each side till they turn brown.
- Arrange them on a serving dish and sprinkle lemon drops and garnish with mint leaves and sliced onion.