- 2 Cup Idli rice/paraboiled rice
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Split black gram dal
- Water for making a paste
- 2 Tbsp Granulated white sugar
- 1 Tsp Yeast
- Salt to taste
- Oil/Ghee (for greasing sanna molds)
Step by Step Instructions
- Soak both the rice and urad dal separately overnight.
- Blend both rice and urad dal separately and transfer them to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Now add grated coconut, with salt and 1 tbsp sugar, mix well and set is aside.
- Now mix the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in a bowl stir gently and set it aside. Let it rise.
- After you see the rise in the yeast mixture pour it on to the rice and dal batter and ferment it over night or about 3 hours.
- Now pour water into the steaming pot and grease the molds with the oil or ghee(optional) and pour the batter about half of the way.
- Now put the mold stand in the steamer and steam for 15-20 mins or at least till they are cooked.
- When cooked remove the molds from the steamer and let them cool.
- You can serve them with chutney or curry of your choice.