A delicious golden moist rum cake loaded with nuts and fruits.
2 hours 05 minutes
- ½ cup raisins (
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 6-8 apricots (optional), you can replace it.
- 5 dates (seedless) (
- ½ cup cashews (
- ½ cup almonds (badam)
- 1 cup rum (or more)
For caramel syrup
- 2 cup + 2tbsp all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- zest of one orange
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder (dalchini )
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder (adrak powder)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (jaiphal/jajikaya)
left overRum (from the soaked dry fruits)
Step by Step Instructions
Preparation of fruits
- Soak chopped (bit size pieces) dry fruits and nuts in rum for a week.
Preparation of caramel syrup
- Melt sugar in a pan and lower the flame as the sugar turns golden and bubble starts forming.
- Remove from heat when the sugar turns brown.
Preparation of cake
- Remove the soaked nuts and fruits, draining excess rum. Add 2tbsp flour and mix well to coat all soaked fruits and nuts.
- Separating the egg whites and yolks, beat the whites till soft peaks form, set aside.
- Sift together, flour, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together, butter and powdered sugar into a smooth paste. Then add egg yolks followed by orange zest, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, dry ginger powder and beat well.
- Then add the cooled caramel syrup, dry ingredients and egg whites slowly and combine well. Then add the flower-coated dry fruits an nuts along with 2tbsp of drained rum and fold the ingredients into the mix.
- Pour the batter carefully into a 9-inch springform pan lined with parchment paper (on all sides and bottom and extending 2 inches above the edges).
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F and bake the cake till a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, remove the cake and remove any paper on the cake.
- The cake is ready.