Thalassery Chicken Biryani
For making Garam Masala
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 4 Green cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 Tbsp Fennel powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin powder
For a fine paste:
- 1/4th Cup chopped ginger
- 6 Cloves of garlic
- 6 Green chillies
Making Chicken Masala:
- 500 Gms chicken with bone
- 4 Medium sized onions thinly sliced
- 6 Tomatoes finely chopped
- Mint leaves finely chopped
- 1/4th Bunch of Cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup cashew nuts
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- Salt to taste
- Sufficient oil for frying onions (either coconut/sunflower/mix of ghee and coconut oil)
For Cooking Rice:
- 2 Cups of Kaima Rice or Jeerakasala rice
- 3 Green cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Inch cinnamon
- 3 Bay leaves
- 2 Tsp Shahi Jeera
- 2 Tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- The above two must be roasted in oil
Step by Step Instructions
- Take a pan and over medium heat add sufficient oil and fry the onions till they turn golden brown. Set the fried onions aside.
- Dry roast the spices which are mentioned under Garam Masala, and blend them into a fine powder.
- Now blend the ginger garlic and green chillies to a fine paste by adding little water if required.
- Wash the rice and soak it for about 20 mins. Now take a rice cooking pan and add water with other ingredients mentioned above for cooking rice. Cook rice until 80% and drain the rest of the water and set it aside.
- Take a large pan over medium heat, add coconut oil and ghee, then add cashew nuts and raisins and cook until they get the light brown colour now add the chopped tomatoes, let it cook and turn mushy.
- Add the ground ginger garlic and green chilies paste, mix well and cook it till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the mint leaves, combine well.
- Now add chicken pieces and mix well, now add more than half of the fried onions to the cooked chicken and rest you can use it for garnish purpose in the end.
- Mix well and cook the chicken for another 5 mins, now add the garam masala which was prepared combine all the mixture and cook for another 5 mins you can now add some lemon juice aswell. If you do not see the gravy you can add a little water if so.
- In a bowl, soak the saffron in ¼ cup milk and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Spread the cooked rice over the chicken masala gravy.
- Drizzle the saffron milk over the rice.
- Spread the remaining fried onions, chopped mint, chopped cilantro and cashew nuts and cilantro over the rice.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place a lid over the pan
- Place the pan over very low heat and dum cook (dum means to breathe in) for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of dum cooking, remove the pan from the heat or oven.
- Let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Serve the biryani along with raita, pickle or papad.