Malwani Chicken Recipe
- 1 Kg Chicken (cut into medium sized pieces)
For the curry:
- 80 ml Water
- 3 tbsp Refined oil
- 3 Onions, finely chopped
- Handful Coconut, grated (nariyal/kobari)
- Handful Coriander leaves (kothmir)
- For the malvani masala:
Dry roast the following items and then grind on cooling and keep ready for use.
- 1/2 Nutmeg (jaiphal/jajikaya)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta/biryani aaku)
- 6-7 Cloves (laung/lavangalu)
- 6-7 Dry red chillies
- 10 Black peppercorns (kali mirchi/miriyalu)
- 1 large Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder (mirchi powder)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi/pasupu)
- For the coconut masala paste:
Dry roast the following items and grind upon cooling and keep ready for use.
- 3 Green chillies (hari mirchi/mirpakaya)
- 5-6 Garlic cloves (lahsun/vellulli)
- 1 Coconut, grated (nariyal/kobari)
- 3/4 inch Ginger (adrak/allam)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oil in a medium sized vessel and add the onions and fry well, then add the coconut masala and cook till it blends.
- Add red chili powder and the malwani masala and the chicken pieces and mix well till all the pieces are coated evenly.
- Add water to make gravy consistency and add salt to taste. Let cook on medium flame till the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and grated fresh coconut.
- Serve hot with roti and steamed rice.