Pandhra rassa Recipe (mutton in white gravy)
- 5 cups Mutton stock
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (til/nuvulu)
- 2 tbsps poppy seeds (kaskas/gasagasalu)
- 2 Onion
- 3/4 cup coconut grated (nariyal/kobari)
- 1 Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 – 5 Cardamoms Green (choti elaichi)
- 2 – 3 Cardamoms Black (babi elachi)
- 5 – 6 Cloves (laung/lavangam))
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta/biryani aaku)
- 4 – 5 tbsps Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste (adrak lahsun paste/allam velluli)
- A pinch Nutmeg of powder (jaiphal/jajikaya)
- 1 tsp White Pepper powder (safed mirchi/tella miryala podi)
- Coriander Leaves Chopped (kothmir)
- to taste Salt
Step by Step Instructions
- Soak poppy seeds in water for 10 to 15 minutes and set aside. Dry roast the sesame seeds. Boil together the sesame seeds and poppy seeds in half cup of water and set aside.
- Grind these seeds sans the water with grated coconut into a fine paste adding water sparingly.
- Boil onions in a cup of water and then drain and grind to paste.
- In a pan of appropriate size, heat oil and add cinnamon, black and green cardamom and bay leaves and saute well.
- Then add the onion paste and cook on low heat for a few minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste and the poppy and the coconut paste, nutmeg powder and white pepper and simmer.
- Add mutton stock and salt to taste and cook further for 9 to 12 minutes.
- Serve hot.