Parsi Chicken Bafat
- 500 gms Chicken with bone or Mutton cut in small pieces
- 200 Gms of potatoes, cut in small pieces
- 3 Tbsp of oil
- 1 Tbsp of ghee
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ Cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp garam masala
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
For Bafat Masala (Blend the mixture)
- 9 Kashmiri chillies
- 10 Peppercorns
- 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Pcs of cinnamon
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add chopped onions, fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw smell is gone, then add tomatoes, cook until soft.
- Continue stirring and add shredded coconut, chicken, potatoes, ground spices, and salt, mix well and cook on medium flame.
- Now add jaggery, tamarind paste, and vinegar. Add a cup of water and let it cook.
- While the above mixture is being cooked add the Bafat masala by blending the dry ingredients in the above ingredients list.
- Cover the pan cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium flame, till the meat and potatoes are cooked, add more water if desired for gravy.
- The consistency of this curry will be gravy.
- Finally, add chopped cilantro.
- Parsi Chicken Bafat can be served with coconut rice, white rice or any Indian bread (roti/naan)