Peri Peri Scrambled Egg Wrap
Scrambled Egg Method:
- 7 eggs
- Oil as per the requirement
- 2 medium-size onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 medium-size tomato (finely chopped)
- ½ tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- ½ tsp of garam masala
- 1 cup of Wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 Large red bell peppers
- 1 large red onion, chargrilled
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 10 small dry red chilis, roughly chopped (more to taste for hotter sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, or plain paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Step by Step Instructions
Prepare the dough:
- On medium flame heat add oil onto the kadai, add jeera followed by green chillies, chopped onions, tomatoes, salt, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and cook until soft and tender.
- Take a bowl, beat 5 eggs, add salt and whisk for few minutes.
- Now add the whisked egg and scramble until the eggs are cooked and set it aside for later use.
- Start by roasting the red peppers and onions. This can be done on a grill pan. You want to get good char marks on the outside of the peppers and onions. Don’t worry if they are not fully cooked, they will get fully cooked in the sauce.
- Chop the peppers, onions and add them to a blender, take the time to get the ingredients well pureed.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, lemon zest, dry red chilis, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper to the food processor with the grilled onions and peppers and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a medium saucepan, add the bay leaves and simmer slowly for 20-30 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool to warm. Remove the bay leaves then return the sauce to the food processor again.
- Add the additional lemon juice, red wine vinegar and lemon zest. Puree for another few minutes until very smooth and slowly add in the olive oil in a thin stream as the processor is running.
Preparing the dough:
- Sieve the flour, add salt to it and mix well. Place the flour in a large bowl and add 3/4 cup of the water. Stir gently with fingers in a circular motion until the flour starts to gather. Add 1-2 tablespoons more flour if the dough looks too sticky.
- Add more water if it looks too dry and firm.
- Knead the flour until it becomes soft and pliable and doesn’t stick to your fingers. You can put a little oil on your hand while kneading the dough to help with kneading. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour and divide the dough into equal round balls.
Making the wrap:
- Flatten the dough ball and coat with flour and roll into a thick chapati
- Coat it with ghee and sprinkle salt followed by ajwain, make a slit from the center, start rolling from one side and form a cone, now press down the cone and roll into a paratha.
- Cook the Paratha on both sides until crisp and golden brown by adding ghee by flipping it on both the sides.
- Take a bowl beat two eggs add some salt and whisk well.
- Now on medium heat add oil to the pan and pour the egg mixture and immediately put the chapati while it is runny and cook on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the Paratha from the pan grease the paratha with Peri Peri sauce on one side followed by adding the scrambled egg mixture, now fold the wrap from the other side, and grill it for a minute or so.
- That’s it the grilled peri-peri scrambled egg wrap is ready to eat.