Rajma Masala Recipe
- 1 cup Rajma or red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies slit or paste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp kasurimethi
- 3 tbsp cream
- Chopped Coriander for garnish
Step by Step Instructions
- Thoroughly rinse Rajma under water and soak it over night or for 8 hrs.
- After beans soaked for a while, drain the water and rinse the beans under running water thoroughly.
- Now pressure cook the beans for 5 to 6 whistles with 4 cups of water in it.
- Let it natural pressure release, check the beans are cooked or not. If it is under-cooked, pressure cook for few minutes or 2 to 3 whistles. If required add some water.
- Pre-heat the pot, add oil and butter, once the oil is hot drop the cumin seeds and let them sizzle and splutter
- Add chopped onions, cook and stir over medium heat until onions are golden and then add slit chilies or chili paste, ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for few minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Add turmeric, chili powder,coriander powder, garam masala and hing; saute for few minutes on low heat or until oil separates from the mixture
- Grind 2 tbsp of cooked beans to paste and put aside.
- Now add the remaining beans to the onion and tomato mixture and saute for a minute and add the cooked bean water to it and mix well and then add the Salt and bean paste to it for the gravy consistency and cook for 10 mins to thicken gravy.
- Add crushed kasurimethi and cream, stir and simmer for a minute and garnish with the Chopped Coriander and cream.
- Turn off the flame and Serve hot with the rice or Indian bread