Red Velvet Pound Cake
1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened, cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (chaas/ majiga)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 25ml red food coloring, more or less depending on how deep you want the color
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix together, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside. Separately, combine the sugar and the oil set aside.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, food colour and vanilla in a separate bowl. Ensure all ingredients blend well. Then add the white vinegar. Then slowly whisk in all the wet and dry ingredients forming the cake batter.
- Grease an appropriate size baking tray. Preheat the oven to 320F. Pour the batter into the tray and bake for half an hour (or until a toothpick when poked into the cake, comes out clean).
- Then remove from oven and upon completely cooling, remove the cake gently separating the edges.
- Frost the cake with cream cheese. (The cake is delicate and you may have to refrigerate it to make it stiffer, before applying the frosting).