- 2 Cups Idli rice
- 1 Cup white urad dal (skinned black gram)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp of Sambar powder
- 1 Tbsp of ghee/oil
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash Urad dal soak them in enough water in the morning, grind the dal in the evening to a smooth paste.
- Soak the idli rice for 30 mins and squeeze the idli rice and mix it with the Urad dal paste.
- Keep the batter in a warm place for 8-10 hours (or overnight). The batter must be fermented and has a good rise.
- Now add the Sambar powder to the batter and set it aside.
- Take the Idli molds rub a little oil/ghee on each of the idli molds, drop a spoonful of batter in each mold.
- Addwater into the idli steamer. Place the idli stand in the steamer and close. Steam on medium heat until the idli is cooked.
- Open the steamer carefully and check the idli by inserting a clean fork or a tooth pic. If the knife comes out clean, idli is done.
- Remove the steamer from heat and serve warm with sambar,chutney or any pickle.