Soaking overnight and cooking in 60 minutes
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Inch ginger, finely chopped
- few curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dry coconut finely chopped
- pinch baking soda
- 2 Tbsp rice flour
- 2 Tbsp samolina
- ½ Tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
Step by Step Instructions
- Soak 1 cup urad dal in water overnight.
- Drain the water and grind to fine paste adding water as required, add 4 water to make smooth thick paste.
- Transfer urad dal paste put in baking soda mix well this makes medu vada soft and fluffy.
- Add cumin seeds, chopped ginger, few curry leaves, 2 tbsp coriander,dry coconut pieces, rice flour, samolina and salt to taste, mix well.
- Heat the oil in large kadai,wet your hands with enough water and take a small ball sized dough and make it round.
- Take a plastic plate sprinkle water on it take a scoop of batter, shape the edges and make a hole at the centre.
- Heat a deep kadai and add oil once the oil heats drop the vada in oil and deep fry by turning each sides until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot medu vada prepared with chutney or sambar of your choice.