Vada pav Recipe
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 tbsp. fresh Curry Leaves
- 3 Garlic Cloves Peeled
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 3 Green Chilies
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 2 Cups Potatoes, Boiled, Peeled & Mashed
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves, Chopped
- 2 cups Gram Flour (Besan/senagapindi)
- 1 tbsp Rice Flour ( chawal ki aata/biyyampindi)
- Salt To Taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (haldi/pasupu)
- Water, As Required For Making The Batter
- Oil For To Deep-Frying
- ¼ cup Grated, Or Desiccated Coconut (sukha nariyal/ endu kobbari)
- Peanuts – 4 Tbsp (mungphali /pallilu)
- 6 small Dried Red Chilies
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds (Til/nuvulu)
- 11 Garlic Cloves, Peeled (lahsun/vellulipaya)
- Salt – To Taste
- 1 ½ tbsp. Red Chili Powder (mirchi powder)
Step by Step Instructions
- In a mixer, add the chillies, garlic and ginger and make coarse paste. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and let crackle. Then add curry leaves and the chili paste and fry for 1 minute, then sprinkle turmeric powder.
- Then add mashed potatoes and cook well. Remove from heat and set aside. Divide into 7 to 9 spherical balls when cool.
- In a separate bowl mix together, all the ingredients for the batter with appropriate water to make a thin paste like consistency. (Watch out for lumps).
- Dip each vada into the batter and deep fry till golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Optional – in same frying oil, add whole green chilies and fry for a minute and set aside. To be eaten with the vada pav as a side item.
To make the chutney:
- Separately dry roast (with very little oil) and set aside, the dry coconut (till golden brown), peanut powder.
- Similarly dry roast the red chilies, sesame seeds and garlic. Grind all the ingredients (when cool) with salt to taste.
- The vada pav is ready. Slice a piece of Mumbai pav and sprinkle the dry chutney inside lavishly alongwoth some finely chopped onion (optional). Place the vada inside and press gently. Eat along with the fried green chilies.