Village Style Pomfret fish curry
- 1kg fish (I have used Rupchanda)
- 2 big size onions (finely chopped)
- 6 green chillies (slit)
- 50 gms tamarind
- 3 cups of water to soak the tamarind
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- 4 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste.
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash the fish thoroughly with salt and water and keep it aside.
- Soak the tamarind in water, using your fingers to mash the tamarind well into the water until the tamarind completely softens and then strain the tamarind water into a fresh bowl and squeeze the extract from the pulp as much as possible and set it aside for later use.
- Heat a wide heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat and add 4tbsp of oil once the oil is hot add the finely chopped onions, followed by salt and turmeric powder and fry until light brown.
- Switch off the stove and add the fish pieces to the onion mixture and mix well.
- Now add rest of the chili powder, salt, curry leaves, green chilies, coriander leaves followed by tamarind water, combine well and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes till you see the oil separating from gravy.
- Finally, add Garam masala give it a light mix and cook on low flame for about 5minutes and then switch off the stove and serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: Fish curry tastes better the next day.